- We went tramping to Waitawheta Hut just before Christmas. We had a lovely walk and a refreshing swim in the river near the hut.
- We went tramping to Mangetepopo Hut just after Christmas. It rained quite a lot overnight and our tents leaked. So we didn't stay for the second night as planned (we had planned to try and get up to Red Crater - that got cut back to just a walk up past Soda Springs).
- We had just over a week camping at Waikawau Bay in the northern Coromandel Peninsula. It's a beautiful beach with a lovely campground. (even if it is really really large - it's the biggest DOC campground in the country... apparently 1400 people were in there sometime between Christmas and New Year).
Thursday, 24 January 2013
Wednesday, 26 December 2012
It works on the principle of having a bulk batch of dough that you mix up and then store in the fridge for up to 2 weeks in which time you can pull out a lump of any size to bake, and leave the remainder in the fridge. This means making last minute loaves and being able to bake a batch of rolls when I have time is easier than the breadmaker which takes over 2.5hrs as you have to start the whole process from the beginning. With this 'fridge dough' method there is only a 40min prove and then bake! You do need to have the space in the fridge for a 5L container to live (which we do, just), so it might not suit you if you have a small fridge and don't already have spare space.
(here's their website if you want to have a look)
Monday, 17 December 2012
Now, where's that other tent that we need to sell...
- Biggest difference is the extra pole at the back (left-hand side of the picture above). Previously the back room was quite slopey (imagine the roof going from the edge of the blue part straight towards the ground), which was fine for us - that was where the kids slept and it was perfectly big enough. The extra pole makes that room substantially roomier.
- Because of the extra pole, the windows on that room are a lot bigger - square rather than triangular. Good thing for ventilation.
- The poles are different - they're now slightly skinnier in the middle apparently, which makes the walls slightly steeper.
- The main room is slightly taller. We think.
- Two poles for propping up the front door are now included.
Saturday, 8 December 2012
Thursday, 29 November 2012
I got the calendar prepared and hung for another year. A couple of changes this year...
- for the Bible readings we are using the 'Christmas unpacked' issue of Table talk/XTB
- for the gift/treat they r getting a combined gift consisting of individual parts of the Angry Birds boardgame so they have to wait the whole 25 days to have all the pieces to be able to play. (along with the usual days of special activities eg. Ice creams, movie afternoons)
Monday, 12 November 2012
Occasionally when I go to the Asian supermarket I indulge in buying some of the Asian bakery items (we developed a taste for them during our time in China and Singapore). Today I tried a new one 'roast toast' it's basically a slice of Chinese style bread that has been buttered and sugared and then baked until totally dry (like a rusk).
Monday, 5 November 2012
Monday, 22 October 2012
Thursday, 27 September 2012
This is the 2nd year we've gone. I thought they'd improved on last year as far as quality, but Ben thought it was too short. There was also lots more people this year which made it harder for the kids to see, but that might have been because we didn't go during school holidays last year.