Friday, 14 September 2012

Tasty cabbage

My memories of cooked cabbage growing up aren't too favourable.  I remember much preferring to eat it raw than cooked and I most disliked cooked shredded cabbage as a side dish/vegetable.  As an adult, I have come to appreciated cabbage cooked into dishes such as pork dumplings or other asian meat dishes, but have still avoided cooking/serving cooked cabbage by itself.  But after my adventure last night I think I might be cooking cabbage as a side vegetable more often!

I'd been given a cabbage at bible study and while cooking dinner last night, realised we needed some vegetable to go with it.  So I went in search of a recipe for braised cabbage with flavour (I'd seen braised cabbage done on MasterChef a couple of time and was willing to give it a try).  The recipe I decided on was Cabbage with sesame, cumin and fennel seeds (looked quick, easy and I had all the ingredients in the cupboard).  It was really, really good - lots of yummy flavour.  The kids even both commented that it was favourite part of dinner!  I think I will be taking more advantage of the cabbages that are currently in season (and hence at the farmer's markets) around here at the moment (and I might try growing some of my own next autumn/winter).

No comments: