Saturday, 20 September 2008

Nice walkies...


For those that might not know, Mel and the kids are currently in Australia. Mel had organized to mark the Year 12 QCS tests before we left, so when we left, we decided she may as well fly back and still do that.
Seen as she's away and our container still hasn't arrived, I thought I may as well get out and go for a walk today. Mt Pirongia Forest Park was the destination. I wasn't sure how far I'd go seen as I only had running shoes and didn't really have any idea what track was like. I'd asked a guy at work and he'd recommended heading up to Ruapane lookout, and I could keep going to the top of Mt Pirongia if I felt like it. That sounded good, so I headed out early this morning... and started walking at about 6:40am. I'd got to the lookout by 7:20am, so I figured I may as well keep going! The track past there got progressively muddier... this is NZ after all. Still quite pleasant though. From the summit (959m apparently) there were pretty impressive views - Mts Ruapehu and Taranaki were clearly visible - and they're a long way away. Having a nice clear day was also good :) I'd reached the summit by just after 9, so I figured I may as well keep going... there was a hut about 30min further apparently. So, 20min later, I reached the hut, to have some lunch. At 10am. Oh well.

I had at least an hour relaxing at the hut. The walk back seemed a little more muddy and slippery than the way up... I think gravity has something do with the slippery part anyway. And then home for a wash - the shoes were mudcakes by the time I got back to the car. So, all up, a very enjoyable day out!
Some photos are now on flickr... so head on over to them if you want to check them out!

No comments: