Friday, 26 February 2010

Run, baby, run...

About 3 weeks ago I decided to start doing my cardio outdoors when I go to the gym. So this has involved running a circuit around near my gym.

Now I have never been a distance runner, as in I have never enjoyed it, it has always felt like had work to me. I used to be a sprinter back in my school days and even then I used to think 200m was getting a bit long! I have tried getting into running using the treadmill at the gym, but still felt it was too hard work and it was easy for me to cheat and just hit the button to decrease my speed to a nice walk.

So the circuit I have started with is only 2km long (which I have only just worked out thanks to here). The first time I just walked it, the next time I ran about 600m then walked, next 1.2km before needing to walk and today 1.4km before walking (although I did run again for a little more near the end). I aiming to run 1.6km next time and the full 2km the time after that. I am starting to find I'm getting into 'the zone' for at least a little bit of the time (ie. it isn't feeling like hard work the whole time). And I also need to start looking at a longer route to start working my way around. I would never thought I would say that I'm actually enjoying this longer distance running.

No comments: