Sunday, 4 December 2011

Plugged In

As the kids get older the more we are having to interact with kid pop culture. Today I'm particularly thinking about movies. It can be hard to tell from a preview or synopsis if a certain movie is suitable for kids (the 'animation' filter doesn't work these days - 'The Incredibles' being a case in point) or if they content (language/actions/themes) that don't align with a Christian world view. So I have been using the Focus on the Family's 'Plugged In' website to do my research - somebody else has taken the time to watch the movie and compile a report noting all positive elements, spiritual content, violent content, crude or profane language, drug and alcohol content, other negative elements and a general conclusion.

I have found this useful to make a decision about the kids viewing in a number of situations including - DVDs we pick up in the kids sections at the library, movies that are on TV and 'movie nights' the school P&C has run.

1 comment:

Ally said...

I have been using Plugged In for a while to assess films that Tom & I might want to watch.