Saturday, 23 October 2010

Chicken pox...not

Don't know if many people in Aussie have had much experience with seeing the actual front line defence of your child's Chicken Pox vaccine working (considering the babies to get it for free are only 5-6 years old now). Living in NZ - where the vaccine is not part of the normal immunisation schedule and hence is not free - I have now had two experiences of the front line defence.

This week is the second time that Ben and Joanna's kindy has reported a number of cases of Chicken Pox among the kids. And this is the second time that Ben and first time for Joanna (now that she is at kindy too), that coinciding with a Chicken Pox outbreak at kindy, they have come down with a headache and temperature for appox. 24hrs, and then been totally fine. And I am concluding this the the outward signs of the immune system in 'attack mode' fighting the Chicken Pox virus they have come into contact with at Kindy.

I am very grateful that because they are vaccinated, I don't have to worry about them getting it whenever it goes around at kindy - no having to stay home for weeks on end (as no doubt they would infect each other) caring for itchy, spotty kids. It has also reminded me that now Naomi has turned 1 - I should go and pay to get her vaccinated against it too!

2 comments:

Ally said...

Due to reading this blog entry I just realised that Denmark doesn't vaccinate against it either. So I am going to have to go & see if I can convince them to give it to Joshua (most likely at a cost, if at all). I did some investigating though as I distinctly remember both of us having the chickenpox & found out that they didn't start vaccinating in Australia until the 1990's.

Peter said...

There wasn't a vaccination developed before then. And it was only included on the QLD (and I assume Australia) immunisation schedule in 2006 and then only for babies born 2005 or after (or something close to that). When they first brought it in they were offering it to older children at a subsidised cost for a while. Here is NZ they will happily give it to kids if you ask for it and are willing to pay for it.