Sunday, 31 October 2010

How to run a marathon PB

  • Do a few training runs
  • Acquire every cold and flu virus in your city, preferably in the month leading up to the marathon, just to make sure you don't over-train.
  • Give yourself an injury to something vital, like, say your foot, with less than a week to go. Spraining a toe is suitable.
  • Run a marathon with perfect conditions: 18C maximum, cool gentle breezes, flat course. It may be a little hard to guarantee those conditions, but you can at least pick one!
  • When you get tired and your legs are sore, keep running.
There, easy isn't it? Auckland Marathon was today, and after debating whether I would even start the race because of a cold still hanging around and a rather sore toe, I managed to keep running longer than I have before - I only briefly walked around the 39km mark. By that stage I was not exactly running fast, but I did manage to keep going, and finished in 4h18:47, which just so happens to be 19seconds faster than I managed in 2008 at the Gold Coast.
I'm certainly happy with that.

No comments: