Sunday, 7 June 2009

Morning at the museum...

Yesterday morning I went (by myself) to the Waikato Museum for the first time, to go and look at the 'Da Vinci machines' exhibition they have currently. It was great to spend a couple of hours wandering around looking at all the different models of the various machines that Da Vinci invented. There was an hour long video which was a biography of his life (concentrating more on his scientific stuff than his paintings. I found this a good overview and learnt a few things that I didn't know/realise before: All his writing is mirror image of 'normal' writing (because he was left handed - I assume so he didn't smudge the ink when writing); many of the projects (mainly artistic ones) he was commissioned to do, he never actually completed; he chose never to publish any of his work during his lifetime. I then spent the 2nd hour looking at all the models of the machines - some which were working models that I could touch. All the models were made with nicely oiled wood, which gave them a bit of a romatiscied image.
Afterwards I went and discovered a nice little cafe - Scott's Eupicrean - to have some lunch. A nice spaghetti with olive oil, parsley, chilli and garlic - it was delicious!

No comments: