Tuesday, 28 July 2009

Cars don't always stop.

Or at least, not exactly when and where they should. I discovered this fact this morning on the way to work - a car entered a roundabout in front of me as I was trying to accelerate out of the roundabout. I slammed on the brakes, with fairly predictable consequences on a bike... I flew over the handlebars and met the tarmac a bit more closely than I would usually. I managed to avoid hitting the car at all - I was lying on the ground looking up at the driver. My bike also seems to have avoided sustaining damage. Unfortunately, my body wasn't quite so lucky. At first I thought I was OK - slightly sore elbow and wrists, a little skin missing on a leg. After cooling down for a little while though (waiting for Mel to pick me up), my arm was letting me know that something was wrong. X-rays confirmed that the head of my right radius (forearm, near elbow) is cracked. And my wrists aren't - they're just sore. So I didn't get to work today - I've been dosed up on Panadeine instead. And Mel gets to look after me as well!

2 comments:

appletopping said...

Oh man! Hope you feel better soon (tho it may get more sore before it gets better). And do you have to see orthopods for fractured radius in NZ?

Peter said...

i have to go back to see another dr next week - presumably they'd be an orthopod. keeping the panadeine regular means it's not too bad for now :)