Friday, 17 July 2009

Cloth is back!

After 12 months of not using cloth nappies on Joanna, I've started using them again today. Well not traditional flat, cotton-terry nappies - I'm using Tot Bots FlexiTots. (If you're not into the cloth nappy thing, you can stop reading now, but if you're interested in it all feel free to keep reading)

They are a fitted nappy with bamboo lining, microfibre core and a 'technical' outer skin. They are a lot slimmer fitting that the cotton original Tot Bots that I have used on both the kids (nearly as slim as a disposable, and I think more flexible/stretchy than a disposable). You still have to use a cover with them.

I'm using the size 2 nappy, but because of the slimness of the nappy, I found the size 2 cover way too big and so am still using a size 1 cover! (These are the old design Tot Bots covers, I don't know how they copare size/fit wise with the new cover design with the gussets etc.)

5 comments:

Ally said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Ally said...

Do you find Totbots to be the best fitten nappy in general? Also when you say cover do you mean wraps?

Mel said...

I've only ever used TotBots fitted nappies and Pea Pods pocket nappies (http://www.peapods.com.au/). I was very happy with the performance of the TotBots cotton fitted nappies with both Ben and Joanna (fit, lack of leakage, absorbancy etc.). Which is a big reason for why I chose another TotBots nappy this time.
It's also to do with the fabrics used - I've kept up with developments in fabrics used and the pros and cons that come with each. The flexi-tots seemed to make sense by the way they are maximising the pros of each fabric and diminishing the effects of the cons.

I wasn't totally happy with the Pea Pod pocket nappies. Leakage was more common - especially the wicking of moisture into clothing from the edge of the lining because the lining and outer seam was right on the edge of the legs. Also just being a pocket nappy meant there was only that one barrier against stopping poo leaking, which meant poo leaked out the legs more (not huge amounts usually, but even small amounts requires a change of clothes for baby, if you don't want it getting on everything else).
And yes I mean wraps when I said covers.

Ally said...

So what model did you use before the flexitots?

Mel said...

I was using Tot Bots Original Tots in unbleached cotton (now made out of organic cotton). I used the ones that need a snappy to fasten, but I notice the new model, you only have a choice of either aplix (velcro) or poppers.
I will still use my size 1s of these with the next baby as they still have some life in them. My size 2s were worn to death by Ben (mainly because I only bought a few and so they were worn and washed a lot), so that's why I hadn't used them on Joanna and have bought some new ones (and taken the opportunity to try some of the more modern fabrics).