Friday, 15 January 2010

My first complete complete photo frame

I've been intending to make our own photo frames for quite a while now... a couple of years ago I got a mitre saw to get me started. Trouble is, I needed a strap clamp and v-nailer to be able to put the pieces together. So I got those. Then, I needed a router to be able to do the rebates on the inside where the glass and photo itself goes. So I managed to get one of those. Then, I needed a table saw to be able to trim pieces of wood that weren't perfectly formed to start with. So, for Christmas last year, I got one of those. Then, I needed a glass cutter and a source of glass. I've borrowed a cutter from Tony, and Mel got me a dodgy frame from the dump shop that still had perfectly good glass.
So, finally, I have the tools!
Here's the results: the mirror was made without the benefit of the table saw (it was wood that didn't need trimming), the photo frame used all the tools (I think the wood's jarrah - whatever it is, it's certainly very very hard. It was tongue and groove flooring before trimming).

No comments: