Wednesday, 17 November 2010

Comparing marathons

(Apologies to those that couldn't really care less about marathons. Go read something else!)
I dug out the times recorded at my previous best marathon - Gold Coast 2008. At that race, times were recorded at 5km intervals, so some sort of pacing information could be plotted, similar to what I did the other day, but without quite as fine a granularity. This is the result, compared to Auckland last month:
My summary of what it shows:
  • My pace seemed steadier in the first half of GC - possibly because of having no hills. The first half of Akl is relatively hilly.
  • I started slowing down from about 15km already... and it just got worse.
  • Somewhere between 25 and 30km I was starting to hurt
  • Shortly after 30km is where I started walking - and walked most of the rest of the way.
  • A slow and easy first half at Akl ended up being a slightly faster time overall.

No comments: