Monday, 4 July 2011

Doughnuts

Are definitely best eaten fresh (the same day as they are made). They are just a bit dry the next day, not soft and light like they are when first made.

Yesterday, I made mini doughnuts with chocolate honey glaze (another Donna Hay recipe) while I stayed home to look after Ben and the rest of the family went to church. There was two reasons I made them:
  1. Because they take a bit of time to make (about 2/2.5hrs including all the waiting time while the dough rises), which I don't usually have free to make them.
  2. As a treat for Ben to help cheer him up seeing as he has been feeling terribly sick for so long.
Ben enjoyed them, although they were the last thing he ate (at 11am) for the whole day yesterday as his temperature and condition went downhill from lunchtime onwards. And Peter really enjoyed them, using the 'freshness' excuse to sneak into the kitchen multiple times to eat one.

This is the 3rd time I've made doughnuts now and I think this is the best batch I have made so far. I'm getting better at knowing how much to kneed the dough and also a better method for making a warm place to use for the dough to rise, so it doesn't take as long.

No comments: