Wednesday, 25 November 2009

I should have been more organised...

At the start of the week I decided today would be the day I made this year's Christmas cake (I've actually never made one before - Peter isn't overly keen on fruit cake - but Peter's mum made one last year that was really nice - even Peter thought it wasn't too bad - so I've got the recipe from her to make my own).  I bought all the dried fruit at the bulk foods shop last friday and meant to check the ingredients list yesterday to make sure I had everything I needed.  Well I never got around/forgot to check and didn't look at the ingredients till this morning, when I realised I hadn't bought the rum! (plus a couple of other ingredients that I don't normally have in the cupboard).

So I went off to the supermarket at 9am to get the missing things and intended to drop by the bottle shop on the way home to get the rum (can buy wine in the supermarkets here, but still have to go to a bottle shop to buy spirits).  Anyway as a I suspected, the bottle shop was still closed - didn't open until 10am.  Which meant I had to come home and wait until after Naomi's 10am feed to then go and get it.  Which has meant that a morning/half day cooking Christmas cake, has turned into a whole day event.  Because the fruit has to sit in the rum for 2hrs, then the cake has to bake for 2.5-3hrs.  Therefore the fruit isn't going to be ready now until 1pm (Naomi's feed time), so the cake probably won't get in the oven until 2pm at the earliest etc. etc.

I have managed to make some shortbread and rum balls (stuff to give to the neighbours for Christmas) to use up the time, so I have got something done this morning that needed doing.  Now for a bit of sit down and rest, lunch, feed Naomi and then back to that Christmas cake making!

2 comments:

Ally said...

Tip for next year, the fruit can be left in the rum to soak overnight, 2hr is normally just the minimum amount of time it should soak.

Brian and Liz Waldeck said...

I just soaked the fruit in apple juice last year!