Wednesday, 11 November 2009

To early for Christmas?


I used to always think that shops were jumping the gun if they had Christmas decorations etc. in store before my birthday (26th November), as I thought 1 month was plenty of time in advance to prepare for Christmas.

Well this year I have changed my view. As I mentioned last month, I've been thinking about what traditions we can begin as a family to teach our children about God. And Christmas is an obvious time for God-focused traditions, so we are wanting to do some Advent stuff leading up to Christmas. As we want our kids to learn the real meaning of Christmas, and think a little a bit about it each day, to balance out all the stuff they will hear about Santa etc. during this time. So this means, I need to start organising this now - early/mid November - so it is ready for starting on the 1st of December. Which means I'm already looking for Christmas things in the shops - Nativity scene, some little gifts for the Advent calendar to make it fun, Christmas decorations that are related to the real meaning of Christmas (ie. no Santas, snowmen, reindeer etc.), etc. I know some of the stuff that I'm looking out for this year, will be one off purchases that will be able to be reused in subsequent years, so I might not have to start so early with my looking out for Christmas stuff in the shops next year.

No comments: