Friday, 26 March 2010

Parent inflicted illness...

As planned, the kids got their flu vaccine yesterday (well half of it - kids under 9 get it as 2 half doses 4 weeks apart). They did very well getting the needles, no crying or tantrums. We then went to Bible study as normal and they didn't seem to be having any reaction to it. In the afternoon , Ben went to kindy as normal and Joanna had her nap. When she woke up she had a fever and when I went to get Ben he was complaining of a headache (which one of the kindy teacher's said he had told her about during the afternoon) and when I felt him, he also had a temperature. So they have been suffering flu like symptoms all night (I had to give them paracetamol twice during the night) and today (Ben's temp has gone, but Joanna still has one). So now I'm wondering if the pros of getting the vaccine outweigh the cons or not? Do I take them back to get the 2nd half dose in 4 weeks time or not?

(Jean's post about caring for sick children has also made me more conscious about my attitude and behaviour towards the children when they are sick - I'm trying to let some of the day-to-day things slide so that I can be there for them more to read stories, give leg rubs - Ben actually requested it yesterday arvo, etc. Although there is only so much that can slide when you have a 5 month old baby to take care of as well.)

No comments: