Tuesday, 21 June 2011

Hedgehog details

When we got home from school/kindy pick up this afternoon I noticed that the bird netting over our berry garden. I went over to investigate and discovered a hedgehog with bird netting twisted around it's neck. Before I tried to free it, I got my leather garden gloves on to protect my hands from the spikes. And because of all those spikes tangled up it the netting, there was now way I was going to be able to untwist it...I needed to cut it out. So I cut the bird netting around it and then took it over to our steps where I could sit down and start the careful task of snipping through the strands of the netting that were wrapped around its' neck (that is what the white stuff is in the photos). The problem was it kept on curling itself up into a ball whenever I touched it so although it was easy to cut through all the strands at the back of the neck, it took a while and a fair bit of manual persuasion to get it out from under its' neck.

It is now sitting in a box in our lounge. We don't want to keep it as a pet and we don't particularly want to reintroduce it to the wild as it is an introduced species which has a devastating affect on the NZ ecosystem as there are no predators to keep their numbers down. So we are going to ring the SPCA tomorrow (NZ version of RSPCA) and see if they will take it and humanely euthenase it (I did google to see if we could euthenase it ourselves - seeing as we have done that with our sick chook - but they are very difficult to humanely euthenase using physical methods and we don't own any anesthetising drugs etc. to do it chemically ).

No comments: