Thursday, 20 November 2008

A Declaration of Intent

I hereby declare that I intend to run the Rotorua Marathon in 2009.
There. Now that I've said it, I need to get off my behind and out of bed in the mornings and get some training done. I started this morning - it was my first run since mid-July. Hamilton seems like a pretty ideal place for running - it's pretty flat, has little traffic, and, probably most importantly, has very good weather. I found it really hard to do marathon training through the summer in Brisbane - it was just way too hot, even at sunrise. Hamilton, in contrast, cools down overnight, even through summer (average minimums are around 13C in mid-summer, as opposed to Brisbane's 21C). Which hopefully will make it more pleasant to run in. Let's see if it makes it any easier to get out of bed for those long runs...

3 comments:

appletopping said...

Very impressed! Hope the training goes well. How far do you run in a typical morning?

Peter said...

You're easily impressed!
The aim will be around 30km a week, building up to some longer runs around feb/march of around 30km. The hardest ones to do are actually the shorter ones mid-week when it's just hard to get out of bed :)

Zilfin said...

That was actually me (Andrew) who wrote the top comment, I guess Sal must have been logged on on my computer!

I've always wanted to attempt a Marathon, but never got around to training. ;)