Monday, 10 November 2008

Peak-bagging in the Waikato


The Waikato isn't particularly renowned for it's mountains - the big mountains of New Zealand tend to be either in middle of the South Island (e.g. Mt Cook), in the central part of the North Island (e.g. Mt Ruapehu) or Mt Taranaki (it's a whopping great big volcano which kind of just sits out by itself).  The highest mountain in Waikato is, I believe Mt Pirongia (959m), which is the mountain I trotted up a few weeks ago.
Over the weekend, the weather forecast was good, so we decided to get out and get the kids into the bush again.  Pirongia was the destination again, seen as the rest of the family hadn't been there and it's pretty close to Hamilton.  Ben was excited about going for a bushwalk, but only if I carried him (lazy boy!).  So, Ruapane (728m) was climbed - it's one of the minor peaks on the way up Pirongia.  It only takes about an hour of walking, which Mel reckons was far enough to carry Joanna!  I did pretty well considering how heavy Ben is now (I know, I know, he's still a lightweight, compared to some other kids his age...) and wasn't feeling particularly tired by the top.  The way down was a bit harder on the legs - my quads and calves are feeling a little achy, but not too bad.  I guess I'll have to do it again sometime to make sure my legs get used to it!
All up, it was a nice walk through some nice forest, with very expansive views from the top.  The kids both had colds, but still enjoyed it (J fell asleep on the way down).
Mmm... maybe I'll have to get them up Taranaki one day... :)
(A few more photos are at flickr as well!)

2 comments:

Mel said...

It wasn't that bad. I was thinking about it today and it wasn't my shoulders complaining about carrying Joanna (no sore traps or back either on the actual walk or the next day). And my legs didn't reel to tired/like jelly on the way down. I think it was a good walk carrying Joanna the whole way. Now we just need to work on getting Ben into doing a bit of walking at the start, before we let him have a ride in the backpack.

Zilfin said...

Trying not to comment about Ben's weights...oops.