Friday, 14 November 2008

Free Flowers...

I do like having fresh flowers in a vase at home, but very rarely get given any from Peter (sound familiar?). I kind of get his argument about the exorbitant amount they charge at the shops for them and the short amount of time they last (which actually was totally blown out of the water with the last bunch he bought me - when I got back from Oz after September school holidays - they lasted 2 weeks and I didn't even change the water!). Well thanks to the good growing soil of the Waikato and the keen gardening neighbours that we live next to, it looks like I will be able to have fresh flowers throughout spring and summer! Our neighbours are always doing something in their garden every weekend and they just happen to grow climbing roses on the fence between our properties , so I take any flowers which are growing on our side of the fence! (they don't mind) And then yesterday I discovered this tree down the back that had these cool looking little buds, with tiny white flowers. What you see in the picture is the result - I would have liked the roses to be sitting up a bit more, but the fence limits the length of stem I can cut.

3 comments:

appletopping said...

very pretty!
Now if only our neighbours were planters, rather than builders (they have a big pile of dirt as their backyard at present. :()

LizW said...

Peter grew up in a house that hardly ever had flowers! Sorry!

Ally said...

They look really pretty. I have the same problem with Tom. He doesn't see the sense in paying all that money for something that doesn't last that long. He thinks pot plants are much more practical!!