Wednesday, 23 June 2010

The wait continues...

Went to the Dr again today, about my tonsils again. I've had 2 bouts of tonsillitis in the last month and I hadn't heard anything from the hospital yet (the Dr sent a referral last time I went to get my antibiotics prescriptions - that was 3 months ago). So she rang the hospital and found out that they had received the referral and I had been put on the waitlist to see the ENT, I have been classed as a level 3/4 case which means the standard waiting time to get an appointment is 6 months! Until then I just have to keep taking my antibiotics (even when they aren't doing a very good job - I've been on the high dose ones for 5 days trying to get rid of the current bout and still the Dr commented "Oh, my" when she looked at my throat - apart from the fact that I still have a sore throat). The Dr did print off the referral to send again with the additional information about my recurrent bouts of tonsillitis while on the low dose antibiotic treatment and asked them to bump my appointment up the list because of this.

2 comments:

Scurrette said...

That is so frustrating. I had recurrent bouts of tonsilitis last year and went to see a private ENT only to be told that you basically have to deal with it for a year before they will consider removing them.

Poo!

Fortunately, after 3 consecutive infections, they seemed to heal and I've only had the random case here and there since. So I'm not so worried right now.

Can you try ringing the hospital yourself and chuck a tanty? Perhaps they might put you forward a bit.

Mel said...

As you would pick up from previous posts - I've been dealing with this for nearly 5 years now (since just after Ben was born). I will admit that I go through good periods and bad, but it is cycle I want to break and I don't want to be on the antibiotics for the rest of my life.