Wednesday, 18 May 2011

Literacy learning curve

After helping out in Ben's class for a couple of weeks, it was apparent that the teacher is using the time to get me to help the kids that are struggling with literacy (both reading and writing). As most of you will know I come from a math/science background, so after making some observations about the children's literacy skills, I decided to to a bit of research of my own into strategies I could use with those struggling with early literacy skills. Around the time Ben started school I started reading Trevor Cairney's blog (through links from Nicole's blog) about literacy and learning, so this is where I have started my research and through his posts and links to other research papers etc. I've discovered a couple of strategies that I can easily implement. These include reading to the children each week (I'm starting with 'Fantasic Mr Fox' by Roald Dahl), as well as doing a Digital Language Experience Approach (D-LEA) where the kids will make their own digital story books (like early readers with pictures taken with digital camera and an accompanying line of text/caption for each written by the kids). So in colaboration with the teacher I am going to do these activities, as well as work on activities which will help the kids improve their fine motor skills in a fun way (eg. spelling words by making the letters out of playdough, spelling letters on the ground using water and paint brushes etc.). I'm enjoying learning a bit more about literacy and helping these kids to engage with learning and improve their skills. As a middle school teacher I have seen a number of kids who struggle with literacy, but by that age have just given up on trying to learn. So to be able to help some of them at an early age when I am able to help them engage with literacy and develop a self motivation to learn (to develop life-long learners to use the 'catch phrase) is worth the time.

No comments: