Wednesday, 4 May 2011

My first day at school

Today, I went and helped out in Ben's class for the first time. First I was cruising the classroom helping the kids with their writing task (writing about a puppet show they had seen this morning). Then the teacher got me to work with some of the kids who were struggling with their reading. I'm planning to go every Wednesday morning between morning tea and lunch.

Reasons I've decided to do this:
  • As a teacher I know how difficult it can be dealing with such a wide range of ability levels, so being able to split up the class a bit is beneficial for all the kids both those who are at the top end and those at the bottom end.
  • It gives me an opportunity to get to know Ben's teacher better.
  • I get more of an idea of what Ben does at school.
  • It gives me an opportunity to get to know the other children in Ben's class.
  • I enjoy teaching and like the opportunity to get back into the classroom.

No comments: