Monday, 5 April 2010

Easter traditions

Many of you will remember that this past Christmas I tried to start some Christmas traditions for our family that help to put to focus back on Christ instead of all the secular stuff (see here, here, here and here). Well I tried to start to do some this year in the lead up to Easter. Now I wasn't as organised or put as much thinking into them as I did at Christmas (even though I don't have a newborn anymore - like I did then), but I attempted to start doing stuff.

First thing we did were Easter Advent readings. Each day for the week leading up to Easter we read a passage from the Bible about the events that happened leading up to Jesus death, as well as the actual crucifixion and resurrection. The readings I followed are thanks to Karen (published on Nicole's blog). There was also a simple activity that relates to each one, which I thought I'd attempt to do at least some of with the kids, but was so busy that I didn't manage to do any of them (oh well, I can always try again next year).

We also had a Jesus is Alive cake on Easter Sunday - the idea came from Nicole, and I think it is a good way of combining the whole chocolate thing, with the more significant meaning of the resurrection.

The kids also watched the Veggie Tales DVD 'An Easter Carol'. And I had planned to find the clip from the Jesus Storybook bible for them to watch, but never got around to it (but thanks again to Nicole, I now have it for next time)


No comments: