Friday, 29 April 2011

Hospitality culture

When I invite people over for a meal, have the kids friends over to play, or do some baking/cook a meal for someone, I don't expect the gesture to be returned. It isn't the motivation for me doing it and it doesn't even enter my thinking when I consider who to invite etc. But is this standard thinking of the general population? I think not, with the wide variety of mum's I deal with I continually get the vibe that there is an invisible tally card kept of hospitality given and received. So when I have people over or give people some food, they are grateful but at the same time seem to think that this means they will have to repay the favour at a later date (as they assume that is what I expect/what is expected of them from society). Does this mean people are less inclined to accept my invitations to come over or create feelings of guilt within them when they recall they haven't 'returned the favour' from a past gathering? When from my point of view, I enjoy cooking, enjoy having people over and want my house to be a place where my children's friends enjoy spending time.

And on the flip side, I frequently wonder if when people do things for me eg. drop the kids at school or kindy, are they doing it because they want the same favour returned or are saving up brownie points for different favour. Because the reality is no matter how much I would like to return the favour (not because of a 'invisible tally sheet' expectation, but because I truely care about them and are grateful for their hospitality), sometimes returning the exact same hospitality/favour isn't possible and that is why I am so grateful in the first place for them offering.

What is your experience/impressions?

No comments: