Wednesday, 27 April 2011

Trying something new

I've just made my first savoury crackers. I used Destitute Gourmet's 'Cracker snaps' recipe and it is dead easy.
  1. Put dry ingredients plus butter in food processor;
  2. process;
  3. add water while processor running and form soft dough;
  4. roll out dough to desired thickness
  5. cut into desired shapes - easiest using a rolling pizza cutter (like I did) or pasta cutter for fancy edges
  6. put on baking tray
  7. bake for 15 minutes
It is so easy that I have made a second batch straight away. The first batch has poppy and sesame seeds in them (as the original recipe suggests) and in the second batch I'm trying garlic and Parmesan cheese flavour.

Seeing as the recipe is so simple I think I'm going to try and make it regularly during the term to use for the kids morning tea instead of buying savoury crackers from the supermarket. I'll vary the flavours - I'm thinking sundried tomato or cumin or cracked pepper...

These crackers are also healthy as they have no sugar and only 1/2 teaspoon of salt in a whole batch, unlike a huge majority of savoury biscuits in the supermarket which are both high in sugar and fat.

Second batch have just come out and they taste great! Will just have to see what the kids think of them now.

5 comments:

Ally said...

Which book is that recipe out of?

Mel said...

Enjoy

Russ said...

Mel, is the recipe egg free? If so, could we chase it down too?

Mel said...

Russ - I've emailed you the recipe to gmail address I have for you. Hope it is your current one.

Ally said...

of course the one I don't have! Can you email the recipe to me too.