Tuesday, 4 May 2010

Pavlova success...

I made my first full size pavlovas on the weekend. Now I've made plenty of meringues in my life, the little small bite size ones; medium disc ones (that you make in to a stack layered with creme and fruit, for a modern take on the traditional pavlova; and large discs (for a large scale version of the individual ones). But after making a double batch of Feijoa curd, I had 6 egg whites to use up, so decided to challenge myself to try and make a successful full size one (I've been afraid up until now as it can be a fine art to get it crispy, but not burnt on the outside; cooked in the centre and not runny; for it to stay risen and not flop when it cools down...).

I used a recipe I found in a book I'd recently bought - NZ Gardner-Homegrown: Berries. The weird ingredient that it used that I would never have thought of putting in was - Vinegar! And it turned out great - the soft meringue on the inside is a smooth almost marshmallowy texture. And you don't taste the vinegar at all. Because I had enough egg whites to make double quantity of the pavlova mixture, I made two - one we took to church on Sunday for shared lunch, the other we are making our way through at home for dessert each night.

And if you are interested to know (and didn't already) - New Zealanders' claim to be the original creators of the 'pavlova', so as an Aussie living in NZ I really should be able to make one!


No comments: