Friday, 20 March 2009

2009 Queensland State General Election

I received a letter in the mail today from the Electoral Commission Queensland advising me that there is to be a Queensland State Election this Saturday (21st March 2009). This is the first I've heard about there being an election! Anyway so in the letter it informs me that if I want to apply for a postal vote (which I obviously do, as I live in a different country), I need to submit my application for a postal vote by 6pm the Thursday before voting day - which was yesterday! Needless to say I haven't applied for a postal vote in time (seeing as the letter telling me about the election didn't arrive until after the deadline) and therefore won't be able to vote in the election (it is not compulsory for me to vote as I'm not currently an Australian resident).

What has got me annoyed is, why it took them so long to send me the letter advising me of the election? My voting details were changed on the 18/2/09, the election wasn't announced until the 23/2/09, and the electoral roll closed on the 28/2/09. The postage mark on the envelope is the 13/3/09 - 2 weeks after the roll closed. Considering postage to NZ from AUS is about the quickest of any international destination, I can only assume that most overseas voters will not get the notice I got today until well after the election.

1 comment:

Ally said...

Well the postal service isn't that quick considering NZ is right next door to Aus & it takes 6 days & it takes the same amount of time to for me to get a letter here in Denmark from Aus, & we're on the otherside of the world!!