Thursday, 12 March 2009

Yummy semi dried tomatoes...

With their being a stack of tomatoes around at the moment and the tomato season coming to a end, I've been starting to do stuff to preserve some of them so we can enjoy the taste of tomatoes in the cooler months (without it coming out of a can).

So I've been making a few batches of semi-dried tomatoes in the oven (cut into 8ths, put on baking tray, sprinkle with a little salt and caster sugar, put in oven at 100 degrees C for 4hrs). So far I've been storing them in jars I've collected (filling the space around them with olive oil) and putting them in the fridge - they will apparently be good for 3 months this way. As I'm running out of jars I'm going to also try putting them in a snap lock bag in the freezer - where (according to the diagram on the inside of my freezer door) they will be good for 1 months.

They taste very yummy (better than the ones you buy at the supermarket) and the kids love them too.

1 comment:

Ally said...

Will have to remember this when I get my crop of tomatoes this summer.