Wednesday, 18 March 2009

Gym showers...

Why does every single shower in a gym have to be different? If they were all installed at the same time, with the same shower head, same taps etc. why don't they all spurt out the same amount of water at the same pressure?

My reason for these ponderings is because both mornings I've been to they gym this week, my favourite shower has been in use and I have had to use a different one. I've tried out a different one each time and I now think that I have now had at least 1 shower in each one, since I joined the gym last year. My favourite one has great water pressure (which is important when I'm trying to quickly wash my hair before having to pick up the kids before the creche finishes), good lighting and good water temperature. The one I was in today had rather weak water pressure (which is a problem with most of the other showers), and the water temperature was shocking - I was nearly halfway through my shower before the water warmed up to an acceptable temperature (I didn't have enough time to stand around waiting for it to warm up before I got in). The one I used on Monday also had a very short timer on it (they have push timer tap things (along the concept of what basins have in some public toilets), to help save water, which I think is a great idea, but only if you don't have to keep pushing it so frequently that it becomes annoying).

So I'm hoping that tomorrow my favourite shower is not in use when I need it.

2 comments:

Ally said...

Well the gym showers in Denmark aren't much better. They too have push timers that don't stay on long enough & they NEVER have hot water, just luke warm. They are also communal showers, so there are no seperate cubicles, just a wall with a line of showers. Of course then it depends on which end of the line you are at what the water pressure & warmth is.

Mel said...

In general I actually don't mind the push timers as I find it a helpful reminder about how much water I'm using and helps save water as I just leave the water off while shampooing my hair and just push the button when I'm ready to rinse. It's just that particular shower had a rediculously short time per push.

You also would be very jealous of my current gym as the women's change rooms are like separate ensuites with shower, toilet, basin, mirror all in the one room that you shut and lock to door to while you are using it (there is 6 of these rooms). Although I don't like it that much, as I found in Brisbane that I did most of my chatting in the communal change room (although I must say I liked the separate shower cubicles).