Wednesday, 25 February 2009

Fresh basil pesto...

Was talking to our back neighbours on Monday afternoon and she gave us a whole plastic bag full of fresh basil that she had just got out of her garden. Apparently she doesn't use it much, but it is growing really fast and big in her garden. I was very happy to receive it because ever since I made my 1st batch of basil pesto last month, I've been waiting for there to be enough basil in our garden to make more! (I even planted a whole lot more seed to get more, but it seems to be growing very slowly). So last night I made up 3 batches of my recipe and now have 3 bottles of pesto sitting in my fridge! It tastes so much better than the stuff you get in the jar from the supermarket. And to help keep the cost down, for the nuts that go in it, I replace the pine nuts with cashew nuts (cheaper to start with and frequently on special at the supermarket).

2 comments:

appletopping said...

Sounds sooo tasty! Can you have fresh pesto with pasta, or is it just good as a dip?

Peter said...

We had it with spaghetti the other night... I liked :)