Friday, 27 February 2009

Such a mum...

Just after I arrived at the gym this morning, the female personal trainer pointed out that I had my shorts on inside-out. I didn't actually, they are reversible and I had reversed them, without realising that the tag needed to be removed before I did this, so it was on full display making it look like my shorts were inside-out. As I was trying to explain this, the mum of one of Ben's gym friends made the comment "Oh, you're such a mum". I wasn't offended by the comment (it was said in jest), but later, while I was working out it got me thinking. The comment (in context to the cirucumstances) really reflects a common view of full-time stay-at-home mothers (FTSAHM) by society. We are commonly viewed as a lower class, with lower intelligence and other life skills because obviously we can't manage both full-time work and motherhood (or manage to dress ourselves correctly). Anyway I just wanted to say that I'm proud to be a FTSAHM and really do enjoy it (well most of the time). And today is the first time I've ever stepped out of the house where people may percieve I had my clothes inside-out.

2 comments:

Melissa said...

Hi Mel
I have a reversible skirt but hte tag on it was on a striong and could always be on the inside.
I once left the house and arrived at a shop only to discover I still had my slippers on. Thankfully they were my sensible looking pair, not the fluffy ones.

Ally said...

I had a similar comment made to me yesterday. I told my work collegues that I was going to be a stay at home mum & one of them commented " oh, so you're going to be one of those mums that spoils their kids". As if implying that because I would be home all the time I'd be doing everything for my kids & not allowing them to be independant.