Monday, 9 February 2009

Physical Touch...

I've started reading 'The five Love Languages of Children', after it was recommended to me by my sister-in-law. I have only read the first 2 chapters, but have decided after reading the 2nd chapter today, that it is going to take me at least 6 weeks to get through it. This is because I've decided to read only 1 of the love language chapters per week and then spend that rest of the week trying to increase the amount that I communicate to my children using this language. I think this is a good idea as it means I am not overloaded with trying to remember to do many different kinds of things with the kids all at once and also I can try a number of different things and will hopefully be able to work out which ones my kids respond to best. (Also they say in the intro that you can't really determine you child's primary love language until they are 5yrs old, so just to make sure you do them all).
So the first love language talked about is Physical Touch. From the start I don't find this one too hard as it is one that I respond to. But I think recently I have been getting too caught up with doing things to spend much time showing physical touch to my kids. So it has been a good reminder to me to take the time to give longer hugs instead of just a 'quickie' or to actually initiate the hugs instead of just giving them when Ben asks for one. The book has also made me understand that hugs and kisses aren't the only thing I should be thinking of. Other ways I'm going to try include snuggling closely together on the couch when watching DVDs; giving high-fives, have "tickle fights"; play games/sports together that require physical touch; offering to hold hands even when not necessary for safety/organisational purposes.
I already suspect that Physical Touch is one of Ben's primary love languages, but I must admit I haven't put much thought or observation into considering Joanna's. So hopefully this week will help me to start thinking about it and enjoying thinking about and showing love to my children.

No comments: