Wednesday, 18 February 2009

'Justification by faith' - Do you really understand it?

I've taken to reading back issues of 'the BRIEFING' while exercising at the gym. We have had a subscription on and off for a few years (currently off), but usually end up letting it lapse. The last time we let it lapse though, I was finding that for a while, the whole month would go by and I wouldn't have even opened it. It wasn't that I didn't want to read it, it was that I just didn't seem to be able to find the time/mental energy required. Anyway, while plodding away at the gym one day the other week I was thinking about how old and in general uninteresting all the magazines on offer at the gym were. And I don't know from where the thought came, but I thought, hey, I could bring my own briefing magazines and read them while I exercise!

So today I was reading an article from the January 2008 issue, entitled "On the dangers of Christian shorthand: 'Justification by faith'" by Christopher Ash. The point that struck me was where he said

'Justification by grace alone through faith alone' means 'justification by grace alone through faith alone, where faith is inseparable from repentance, loving obedience, and patient waiting'

That is the biblical picture of faith is a great deal deeper and more of a 'whole person thing' than just being primarily and essentially and activity of the mind and intellect. Real faith involves real repentance; real faith involves loving obedience; real faith involved patient waiting.

What it assured me of was that my activity as a christian is intrinsically part of faith, not a case of I have faith therefore I will now do the right thing. My works as a christian are not because of my faith (which might cause me to question my faith, if I'm not carrying out much in the way of 'good works'), they are part of it.

I also liked the reminder that my mindset should not be on experiencing blessings in this world, but living by trusting in the promises of God. It is through faith and patience that the promises are inherited.

Anyway, if my ramblings have confused you a bit I'll leave you with a nice summary that Christopher Ash gave at the end of the article.

"So when we speak of 'justification by faith', let us remember the priority of the grace of God, the absolute priority of this grace (ie. 100% grace), and the rounded picture of a faith that transforms our direction (repentance), our activity (obedience) and our longings (patience)."

No comments: